Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Playlist: M Butterfly

I am trying to catch up on all my films...I have tried to start Seventh Seal 3 times...I have fallen asleep to the commentary of Thin Red Line twice...and have made it through a few others...but this one I want to write about real quick. I own all but 1 David Cronenberg film (that is Shivers and is hard to come by)...and I just got M Butterfly a few months ago...but really had no desire to watch it...man was I wrong...it's not great, it's good though...the great part is the direction and acting...the story is nothing new...but that's because how old it is and it doesn't have the effect since we are so jaded when it comes to shock value anymore...before M Butterfly came out we already were exposed to things like The Crying Game (which had a surprise ending similar to this) and Farewell, My Concubine which was similar also ...I guess we had a string of films and the planets aligned for "She's a he" type films...it's interesting ...Cronenberg even states in an interview that this film is laid out where everyone knows that the love interest in M Butterfly is a guy...it was common knowledge...but Jeremy Irons doesn't want to know...by the end Irons is a broken man...the visuals are awesome...Cronenberg is probably the greatest director of all time...I say this because he has changed so much from his first film to his latest...they all are progressively different and evolve but at the same time keep the Cronenberg aesthetic...if you get a chance check this out..its been hard to come by but is worth it if you are a Cronenberg devotee like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment