Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lifetime Movies: 2002


As if in a rallying cry response to the horrors of the previous September, 2002 gave America a lot to take its mind off the real world at-large. A strong year with a little bit of everything film-wise. I couldn't tell you anything else that happened that year. Like one of those big fat guys, the last decade doesn't have much definition for me.

Winner: Adaptation

I rewatched this recently just to see if I remembered it correctly. Turns out I didn't. Not that I didn't like it the first go around, but like I mentioned above, its uniqueness seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle. I don't understand how something this smart and original got made in the first place. Charlie Kaufman is the screenwriter of the decade.

Films of Note:


Punch-Drunk Love: I just rewatched this, too, because I take this seriously. And it somehow had slipped even further than Adaptation in my recollection. Part of the problem was that at the time this was neither another Magnolia nor another Adam Sandler comedy. It was what it, of course, still is: a P.T. Anderson cinematic short story that's surprisingly deep and touching. The peek of Sandler's career.

About a Boy: Take about a rare double-double: one of my favorite books (by one of my favorite authors, Nick Hornby) adapted into one of my favorite movies. Maybe the perfect role for Hugh Grant and just pitch-perfect charming on every level.

The Bourne Identity: Turned out to be the template for the decade's action movies. Not a bad thing at all, other than that Hollywood is so depressingly unoriginal. But don't hate the original. Who knew Will Hunting was such a badass?

Secretary: How long did it take them to cast James Spader in this sexy S&M pic? Spader! But the big score here was Maggie Gyllenhaal in a career-making role (hey, she was in Adaptation, too!). Oddly, director Steven Shainberg never did much else.

8 Mile: The classic music biopic but with the added edge of actually starring the biggest musician at the time. Slim Shady was up for the challenge with an undeniably good performance as basically himself. But it's the music that gives this so much life and, believe it or not, gave Eminem an Oscar. He now has as many as Pacino and Scorsese.

28 Days Later: I've written about this before, but it's worth mentioning again how amazing the first half of this film is. Danny Boyle creates one of the most haunting dystopian worlds to date and proves what an eclectic and

Spider-Man: If I needed proof that I have lost all track of time, they are already rebooting this franchise. Regardless of how the new one turns out, let's not forget how much fun Sam Raimi's first Spidey film was. Still one of the best superhero movies.

Chicago: Finally, here's your Oscar winner. And, you know what? It's not a bad choice in the context of how the Academy votes. A musical with good music and some creative and exciting choreography.

1 comment:

  1. Adaptation is so awsome...I think our first podcast was how I lived the adaptation experience in the everglades

    ReplyDelete