Monday, March 1, 2010

Contact Greatness

Arial font is the closest we will get to Helvetica...this post is in Arial font...I chose it because it is closest to Helvetica...Microsoft has not gotten the rights to Helvetica and therefore we now have Arial in its place...the glory that is the perfect font, Helvetica has been emasculated by a God, greatness is hard to define, but I find great beauty and wonder in fonts, I use them to express a feeling and when I see Helvetica I see freedom and universality, not so much creativity, and then when I see Arial...I see an anti-god, I see an imposter, a false prophet, so easily it is to spot sometimes...as it is with actors..how easily were we all fooled by the likes of Ben Affleck, or by Jim Carrey...these were promised to be great (by some) and then got paid and screwed all of us...I actually thought Matt Damon was the jerk until Ben showed his true colors (but that's for another post)...

When you see greatness and then attempt to come close to it, it is a scary thing...take for instance this blogspot...I just found out I have an account on it...it was for one reason, to contact greatness about 4 or 5 years ago. I opened this account when I found out that Darren Aronofsky was abandoning MySpace (I got a myspace account just to see his page)...and the great Director turned to blog spot...he updated us on The Fountain as it was released and then on the "new project"...The Wrestler...then as time faded no more updates...I opened an account for the chance to see the posts and by chance contact him...I even was one of the first to get on blogspot and open an account and post a thanks to him for his great films, this of course was a sad and desperate attempt to be heard by an icon of mine...there have been other attempts...I posted a blog thanks and shout out to the great Frank Vincent on his personal web site...(no reply)...and then the one moment that a celebrity actually emailed me back was the great Vincent Gallo..I wanted to know a bunch of crap...he probably saw right through me...but he emailed me anyway about 3 years ago..to let me know what I wanted...did he shoot The Brown Bunny in order as the film progresses its road journey from New Hampsire to California?...and what roads did he take?...as if I will someday take the vacation of a life time and recreate the road experience of Vincent Gallo on his journey...(email me if you want to come with...and I can give you his reply personally and we can hit the road...dead bugs and all...but I promise no blow jobs in dingy white and brown motels once we get to California)...

Anyway..the dream is that of Icarus..to fly too close to greatness is to get burned...too bad I am mostly like Sysiphus...I fail but keep trying.

2 comments:

  1. Some of us were not fooled by Jim Carrey. Affleck, ont he other hand, was nothing but a pretty-haired con man. Chasing Amy is starting to look like nothing more than a scam. I feel bamboozled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bamboozeled like spike lee fool

    ReplyDelete