Monday, March 1, 2010

Where's My Fucking Puffy Chair

I hate pretension/ I hate grammar/I hate when some schmuck gets to do what I want to do. I don't even know how to do it, but if I could get in a time machine I would go to the moment when a great thing occurred and be a part of that thing...I don't want to be the leader, or even the lead actor...I just want to be a part of it...that would mean that I would lose my family and not have a life I have now...but that's for another blog.

About time continuums--I want to talk about those films that occur...they start a legacy, they start a trend...they were small independent goofs, that the hopes and prayers of the creators had, and then at some point came success. These films are not pretentious, these films are jewels that I treasure and wish to have "been there" at there respective creation. Recently I had a chance to watch another of these films. They are rare and they are special...the 1st time writer director stamp is on them like a scarlet letter daring you to criticize it. Most bloggers and critics do...they put the "flawed masterpiece" logo on these, also the 1st timer logo, etc.

Ok so what film..the first is by brother creator the Duplass Boys..I came across Mark Duplass in a FX show called The League...a show about fantasy football friends...it started ok...but as the shows increased I learned to love these guys and this brand of humor...it grew on me...maybe I give credence to that show for me liking Mark Duplass and his ease in humor...its a natural humor...not forced just there...just like real life...that comes across in the Puffy Chair...a romantic road story about 2 brothers, one of which has a girlfriend and they get this chair to there dad as a birthday...it is uncomfortably funny, and refreshing...I could see it cost nothing to make and yes..."I could make that" syndrome comes in...well actually I would have just like to have been there to help and been ultimate friends with these guys...come on if I showed up and just said "hey guys you need any help with this film"..they had to say yes...right?..its a good flick
Other films that fit the criteria
  1. 1st time film makers
  2. A low low budget
  3. I want to be friends with them
  4. Iconic filmmaker now
  5. Again, I believe they would have needed my help at the time of filming and I would now live a life of luxury as one of their "Entourage"
Here are the films in no real order and who I would want as my best friend:
  1. Pi : Aronofsky
  2. Clerks : K Smith
  3. Bottle Rocket : Wes Anderson or Luke Wilson
  4. The Puffy Chair: Mark Duplass
  5. Hard Eight: PT Anderson
  6. Cube: Vincenzo Natali
  7. Primer: Shane Caruth (ok no icon but a crazy flick)
  8. Any others...none come to mind...good list I think

1 comment:

  1. Finally watched it. Agree with everything you said with an added emphasis on how low budget it was. Not a bad thing at all. It did seem "real" whatever that means. And I like how they didn't go with the cop out ending. (He does say "dude" too much--started bothering me a bit.)

    ReplyDelete