Monday, October 4, 2010

Autumn TV Update 2: Judgment Day


 Where were we? Right, watching TV.

Sunday

The Simpsons: Sigh. More of the same, and all we can expect at this point. It's impossible to sustain inspiration after this many years. Still solid and better than most shows on TV, but it now simply is what it is. While it was enjoyable hearing Flight of the Conchords' charming Kiwi accents again in the premiere, it felt 3-5 years too late for hipness' sake, a recurring negative trend on the show. Which just makes you wonder how South Park can turn around a hot topic in a week.

Monday

House: Early indications are that they will be able to handle the new House-Cuddy love dynamic. The show has a perfected template and whatever storyline they plug in works as fine as any other. Hugh Laurie carries every episode and that won't change. I still feel this should be the last season, but no one at FOX has returned my calls.

The Event: Oh, it's about aliens. And a government conspiracy. I'm grateful they cleared that up right away so I didn't have to waste anymore time. Two episodes in and I realized my attention was not willing to cooperate. It's not bad, but it's also not Lost. Is that fair? Is that my problem? Anyway, here's another picture of Sarah Roemer.

Hawaii Five-O: Watched the first episode and was entertained. Scott Caan is the money here, finally tapping into his genes lately (see: last season of Entourage). I wasn't so big on the lead, Alex O'Loughlin. Actually, I didn't like him at all. They'll probably soften him up as the series goes on, but right now he comes off as a dull jerk, especially compared to Caan's comic relief. As for James Marsters' role on the show, it looks like a few times a season deal. He was shot and fell into the ocean after being underused in the pilot, but his body wasn't found. He killed O'Loughlin's dad, so he'll be back. And maybe I'll watch it then. Right now, it's a solid cop show, though not one I'll be watching weekly. If it's when you're looking for something to watch, it's definitely worth the hour.


Tuesday

No Ordinary Family: I really don't want to watch that much TV and the only reason I have in the past two weeks is because of you, dear readers. I know and you're welcome. But, I do have an open TV-watching slot after the end of Lost, and it looks like I found a winner. The pilot was a lot of fun and after The Shield, I was willing to watch Michael Chiklis in just about anything. Plus, I like Julie Benz who plays his wife. I am worried about the high concept (regular family gets superpowers) holding up, but if it doesn't, I'll just stop watching. (There's a really good fight scene in the first episode between Chiklis and a de-materializing bad guy--think Nightcrawler--that eased my worries about the potential TV sfx.)

Raising Hope & Running Wilde: Both were still funny enough the second time around to stick in the playlist. And before you ask, I don't count these as new shows to watch. I just like having half hour shows on the DVR as boredom safety valves.

Wednesday

Terriers: Recorded three episodes. Didn't watch any. Had to pull the plug. It's supposed to be pretty good so maybe this is a future DVD watch. 

Thursday

30 Rock: Picked up where it left off as the best comedy on TV. Tracey Morgan is so good on this show.

The Office: I thought the opening "lip dub" was embarrassing. Here's the life cycle of every great comedy: Discovery (when it finds its legs and clicks with the audience); Peak (usually early, season 2 or 3); Plateau (still funny, but getting too comfortable, too easy for the writers to redecorate old material); Fall (going through the motions, usually to get to syndication. This is when shows get gimmicky or begin adding new characters like babies or cute little black kids). If a show lasts longer than this it can no longer be considered great and has damaged its legacy. The Office is falling. I hope it pulls its chute before it goes splat. 

Community: Another DVR time filler. May lose playing time to the two Tuesday sitcoms.

Outsourced: This had a very low ceiling and needs to jump off a stepladder to even hit that. The first episode wasn't painfully bad, it was worse. It was immediately irrelevant. I don't think America is going to watch a sitcom set in India and they're definitely not going to watch a dull one. Everyone's a caricature, but not even in an interesting offensive way. Ok, I shouldn't waste time on this but two things from the pilot: 1. The main character was told he had to move to India to manage his company's relocated call center. He's a young guy with no family. He doesn't want to go, but is told if he doesn't he will lose his job at the novelty company. So...of course he moves all the way to India. Only a retard would do that. 2. One of the Indian women at the call center refuses to speak. She was hired to talk on the phone. Get it? That's just a cheap, lazy gag (and yes, they stole it from Police Academy...in 1984.) Here's the thing: Network Prime Time is like the Major Leagues. Only the best of the best should be there. Crap like this just doesn't have the talent to deserve the shot. Outsourced couldn't carry 30 Rock's jock.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I'll say it: it's been a slow start to the season. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I'm hoping it's not that success has made them complacent, or worse, bored. I'm hoping they haven't plateaued (see, it's catching on). Not panicking yet. 

The League: Has shot right up my list. This is a funny show. Watch it. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Quality Control: Oops you did it again - Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I'll say it: it's been a slow start tot he...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid spellcheck. Is there ever a time when you would need to write tot he? If this is the best Google can do, we are a long way off from being human snackables in The Matrix. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete