Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Playlist: The Kids Are All Right


I didn't want to see this. Just what I needed, another Hollywood lecture on the new reality of America. Did you know 67% of all children born after 1990 are being raised by same sex parents? That figure is completely fabricated, but you get my point. All mathmaticians are liars. Or gay. I'm not sure I really have a point.

But my point is that award season hype has a way of filtering out what films to catch up with on DVD. This has gotten a large percentage of said hype. So, I caught up with it. As it turns out, the film is all right. (Alright, as it turns out, is not. It is not a real word. It does not exist. Please stop looking at it.)

Director Lisa Cholodenko does not use this platform to preach the Liberal gospel, but choosing instead to simply tell a straightforward story about family. The performances are what separate this from the pack (and what are filling the trophy case). Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, and Annette Bening, one of my favorite actresses, are all as good as usual, and Mia Wasikowska finally showed why she's so highly thought of in the industry (and got a few layers of the dreadful Alice in Wonderland off her skin). Solid and enjoyable.

So, solidify and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment