Monday, January 17, 2011

Playlist: The Social Network



Mark Zuckerberg is the Citizen Kane of 2010...and I dont mean that the film The Social Network is on par with the film Citizen Kane...I mean that The Social Network is similar to other well made movies about the origination of an idea and the drama that fame and money brings...so maybe similar to There Will Be Blood or Flash of Genius...But the Character of Mark Zuckerberg as played by the great Jessie Eisenberg is close to Kane...sure the real Zuckerberg is probably not as interesting, but the story of The Social Network is bigger then the people...it is about the American Dream, desire, friendship and greed. I dont think this is my favorite film of 2010, but i really really enjoyed it...the fascination of a close to real life story that is still so contemporary and so present is just very compelling to watch...my problem is that in 10 years will this be important?...or will we move on to something else and the real Zuckerberg will be broke...Facebook will be a fad and some other thing will be important? Either way the ideas of entrepreneurship is timeless..these are friends breaking apart for the rights to make a thing to bring people together...how much better can you get? I wasnt excited to see this film when I found out that one of my favorite Directors (Fincher) was to direct a film about a web site I have always refused to be a part of (its like an Internet of the Internet...some Kaufmanesque reality in a reality...not for me)...but the themes and writing and acting is great...the story could be about 5 guys coming up with an idea about a lemonade stand and it would be just as interesting (but the line where Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake both say "a billion dollars"...is pretty satisfying)...Fincher has made his best film since Zodiac...I also just watched the Swedish version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"...again I was totally not interested in Fincher making this...then I saw the Sweedish film..its OK...just OK as a story...the real interest is the lead actress...Lisbeth Salander...played by Noomi Repace...she is incredible...I just want her story and not the whole who killed Laura Palmer driving plot...playing the American Version will be Rooney Mara (Named for her grandfathers who own the Giants and Steelers...come on really?)...So I am looking forward to this...Mara actually was in The Social Network and played Mark's long lost love.


No comments:

Post a Comment