Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blue Valentine


One day, new film fans are going to seek this out in order to see two of the best actors of this era--Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams--sharing the screen early in their careers. Like watching Nicholson and Streep in Ironweed, only better. Better because I think this is a very good movie--one of the best of 2010. As well it should be, considering director Derek Cianfrance spent over 12 years trying to get it made. The script is very well structured, juxtaposing the rise and fall of a relationship in graphically honest terms. It's a love story, but one that keeps going after the romantic comedy cameras stop rolling. PLUS.

Hold on. I did have one question. How did Gosling's character age so badly in three, four tops, years? Or did he just want to go all actor and look that way? He seems like the type. He also seems like the type that may be hard to stomach in real life. Ok, that's based a little on the fact that he used to date Rachel McAdams, but I don't think I too far off. That's why I want to learn as little about him as a person. We know way too much about actors and athletes, so much that it distracts from the only real reson they should even be factors in our lives. I can't help disliking some douche celebrity and having that trickle down to my professional opinion of them. That's just how people work. Like, I was recently won over by the boxing prowess of Manny Pacquiao. He's undeniably talented and really a wonder to watch. He's also a congressman in the Philippines. And he says stuff like this. TMI. Just box. Just act. And let me judge you when you're dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment