Thursday, May 26, 2011

Devil


One of my first SMC posts was about John Erick Dowdle's excellent horror remake, Quarantine. At the time, I was disappointed that I would have to wait so long for his follow-up. This. Which sounded promising enough at the time: it's about people trapped in an elevator with the Devil. Then I saw that it was being produced by M. Night Shyamalan. Then I got worried.


Little did I know it would be the worst film of 2010. That actually would have been a momentous occasion, or at the very least, a fortuitous bit of foresight. Then again, Vinny H-L did tell me not to see it. But I saw it. Definitely not the high life.


I don't want to pick apart the story, which is one of these simpleton thrillers delusioned into believing it's some sort of grander mystery exploration. It's literally about the Devil and about how people do bad things and they shouldn't do bad things because the Devil will come and do bad things to them. It's grade school religious mumbo-jumbo that's intellectually and artistically insulting. So much so that I watched the whole thing just to get madder. That's how bad it was. What that says about me is a whole other post. MINUS

No comments:

Post a Comment