Friday, July 8, 2011

Kung Fu Panda 2


Probably my favorite children's film in the past 15 years is Kung Fu Panda (Toy Story was 1995 so it's out of the time frame). The story was original and yet hearkened back to the mythology of kung fu films and fighting styles and all the hoopla and grandiosity of kung fu films I had seen (not that I had seen many but the ones I had stuck with me). Jack Black was a perfect match for the panda and the art of the film and lighting was just magical in every way...the fact that they incorporated different art styles to show dreams and flashbacks was original to me and I could watch the original over and over. This is the sequel...it matches everything I liked about the original...there are segments that drag a bit and the finale could have been "bigger"...but the added positives out rule any negatives...

Positive One: Gary Oldman as the Evil Peacock...Gary Oldman is just perfect here as you can recall so many of his bad guys in older films and see Oldman as this little evil peacock

Positive 2: Word had it that Charlie Kaufman was a big fan of the original and they gave him a crack at adding to the script..it was fun to watch the film and look for possible Charlie added script and or "polish"...I found one that I am sure must be him and it was a dream sequence involving a radish

Postive 3: an added dimension to the character of Tigrees...this could also be a negative since I think they just spend too much time on the Panda...I know he is the lead but the other characters could add so much to these stories.

Negative 1 or possible Positive You Decide: The end sets up a Panda 3...but the focus will be on more Pandas...which conflicts with my above thesis that we already have too much Panda

PLUS

No comments:

Post a Comment