Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Next Three Days



Paul Haggis, who could care less what I think of him because he has an Oscar and none of my statuettes have names, is a hack whose Oscar is for the worst Best Picture of my lifetime, 2004's Crash. So, it surprises me that here I am 7 years later writing about one of his films. I heard it was good and besides, 7 years? Wow. I have no concept of time.

Fine, I'll just say it: this was pretty good, and a lot of that has to do with Haggis' direction. (No, he's not a hack, he just made an insulting and inept film that was unjustly rewarded.) Russell Crowe plays a mild-mannered community college professor whose wife (Elizabeth Banks) is inexplicably convicted of murder and sentenced to a long time in the clink. Crowe, of course, doesn't buy the rap, and he eventually concocts a scheme to bust her out of county jail  after her appeal is denied and she is sent to the state prison. I know, but stay with me: this is probably the most plausible take on this implausible premise. (Would I do it? I would absolutely bust out Elizabeth Banks. Then again, he had a shot with Olivia Wilde on the outside, so, no, probably not. It was a lot of work.)

Crowe gives a terrific understated performance, playing up the everyman angle instead of chewing scenery and Haggis complements him by keeping the story from ever seeming unbelievable. Maybe not ever, but for the most part. Ultimately, it is still a fantasy scenario, but its tone keeps the plot tense and leaves you not quite sure how it will end. You know, an entertaining movie. PLUS

1 comment:

  1. You're so smooth, you'd figure out a way to get with Wilde on the outside and still make time to bust out Banks. Then you could have a nice little party with both ladies to celebrate your cleverness.

    ReplyDelete