Monday, December 27, 2010

Playlist: The Black Swan


This is a psychological thriller. A moment in the life of a deranged , obsessed dancer and her spiral out of mental control while her physical control is at its peak. Ballet is the scene, the dancing is great, the music is great, the acting by Natale Portman may be the best of the year. The Film is by Director Darren Aronofsky, Aronofsky for me is like following a great baseball player that you saw his first at bat and then that player got better and better and eventually becomes great... I have followed Aronofsky since seeing PI at the Tampa Theater when it came out...I was blown away ever since. Sure The Fountain is confusing and may be incomplete in some ways...and it did take him 6 years between films, coming off of the Wrestler I was expecting something big...something great...and what I got was a ballet film...I like ballet, I like the acting but I wanted something big...maybe thats what we will get in the new Wolverine Film...but I am still waiting for my favorite director to take a chance on a big epic...the last 2 films have been small but kept tight in the Aronofsky cannon, these are films he cares about and so I respect that...I loved the wrestler and I loved Black Swan...I just hope Aronofsky gets to make the type of films he wants to..and that means more money...both the Wrestler and Black Swan were done on the cheap ...and maybe they deserve to be..the score by Mansell is great but of course borrows much from the Tchaikovsky score.
While writing this it seems like I am ragging on the film...I loved it...and in my mind am ranking it in the Aronofsky list of films...while this film I may give an A-, or 8/10 stars...or whatever ranking...in list of Aronofsky films it comes in low
1.Requiem
2. The Fountain
3. The Wrestler
4. Black Swan
5. Pi
So not bad I guess...I did not expect it to be high on this list but it will make my top 3 films of the year...
Highs?
1, Vincent Cassel...is a great actor...he is a powerhouse...and I wish I could be that cool
2. Mila Kunis...is hot...but actually I thought she was hotter in Extract
3. Natalie Portman...best acting of the year..her little girl voice was great...the time she put in to learn all the dancing was worth it...I cant wait to see her grow as an actress
The color pallet of the film is striking...the black and white throughout is omnipresent and haunting
The special effects are just that...effective and never too over the top.
So thats it...a great job overall...

No comments:

Post a Comment