Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Kaufman Kronicles

An old interview that I have on iTunes got placed on my iPod by accident. It was a 2 hour interview for Wired magazine and has Charlie Kaufman in a restaurant with this interviewer. It's a great listen and got me thinking about Kaufman's films...so I decided to watch all his screenwriting and directed films in order with the exception of Confessions of a Dangerous Mind...since he feels it's not really the script he wrote.

1st. I think it was Frank...but I want to say that I turned him on to "Get A Life"..I saw it from day one and missed only one episode, "The Gang Episode"...this show was brilliant and it was the most fun Kaufman ever had from his TV show writing days...form The Mighty Wildebeast, to Wallet Boy , to Time Juice...Charlie Kaufman had a role in the maturity of my comedic youth.

As I watched his first screenwriting film, Being John Malkovich, come to life I was finding myself laughing out loud again and finding the sadness and "wackiness" of this film...Kaufman takes literary jumps and originality to a whole new level with each film..in this one I forgot how hot and sexy Cathrine Keener was, how ugly Cameron Diaz was...how pathetic John Cusack was, and how sad it was to see John Malkovich have 1 second where he was back to himself before Mr. Lester and crew enter his body...I also watched this film to prepare myself for the 1999 write up for best film..I am dreading that one. Apparently, Francis Ford Coppola was sent the script by Kaufman and thats how Spike Jonze got the script..it's all "strange loops" when it comes to Kaufman...once you start reading stories and how things change ...like the original plot involving Satan and Malkovich did not want to star in it...and actually Kaufman had the script for like 5 years before anything happened with it...it all goes loopy...just like a Kaufman script....see the old scripts at the link above....

Next I will watch the Underappreciated Human Nature

2 comments:

  1. Which one of us watched Get A Life first? I remember watching Chris on Letterman and being a fan. Not that it matters. We were BOTH ahead of the curve. No wonder we ended up so god damn cool.

    ReplyDelete