Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1996

Something changed in 1996. Maybe I was maturing, maybe it was the air, maybe it was the fact that I was supposed to graduate college and didn't...but that's just it...just when I was out...they pulled me back in. For me this starts the year that film was something to look forward to and to witness the start or the continuation of a screen writer or a director...the year I really started following this kind of stuff...and thanks to the Internet it was possible...no Nominees here...this was the year I saw SWINGERS


I guess watching all the great Indie films of the early 90's got me to be on the look out for others. This was the gem I found at the Tampa Theater before anyone knew these two above. Sure you saw them and cried in "RUDY" but you had no idea that these two would make SWINGERS...Guy film, Baby, Money, Boy Named Sue, Hockey, Double Down, you're like a bear, I mean this quote movie mayhem could go on forever. This film is funny, sad, at times Mike (Jon Favreau) is pathetic...at times he is the hero and Trent is pathetic...the crew these guys hang with...you just want to freeze time and live here with these guys, because their lives in the film as actors mimic whats happening to them as Jon and Vince..they were up and coming and now in 2010...Jon is fat/skinny/fat/skinny...director of Ironman Franchise...I mean what the heck? How?...Jon Favreau in my opinion wrote a great film and then followed it up with another great funny ass film "MADE"...but I guess that was it...and the beauty of those is his chemistry with Vince...they play up the Dean and Frank lifestyle in Swingers which is brilliant...but then Favreau fades out and just Directs...sometimes he's in films...but nothing has come close to the chemistry these two had...I look for it in things like "The Break up" and others...but its not the same.

Vince Vaughn on the other hand tried acting drama (FAIL)...and went back to doing his style of smart ass..(WORKED)..Old School, Dodge Ball etc...but now????

Swingers is great

Others:

Fargo: Close to a perfect film...but didn't stand a chance to SWINGERS for me...that's too bad because this film is probably on my top 20 list of favorite films.

Bottle Rocket: Another close one...Owen Wilson is so odd and funny...saw this one because the Video cover looked like a cool indie flick..and it was a gem...Wes Anderson is brilliant and all his movies work...

Kingpin: Starts those new comedy type flicks using sports I guess...but Woody Harrelson is so brilliant in this...and Bill Murray has a great role

Waiting for Guffman: The "My Dinner for Andre Action Figures" cracks me up every time

No comments:

Post a Comment