Monday, August 9, 2010

Playlist: The Damned United

I thought I'd check out this film about English football while I am still recovering from World Cup fever. In all seriousness, I should be bed-ridden. But I soldier on for you, dear reader. Up and at 'em to the ol' desktop computron (No laptop for me. I have a water bed and don't want to get electrocuted).



The Damned United is an account of famed (and controversial) manager Brian Clough (Michael Sheen, as good as he has been in everything lately) and his obsessive battle to prove he was England's best manager. At the time (early 70s), English football was dominated by Leeds United and their manager Don Revie was a national hero. Clough was the up-and-coming small club wondercoach who would finally get the chance to eclipse Revie only to be damned by his own ambition. From what I've read, they played a little loose with the facts, but they got their point home. Which was to shed a little light on a lesser known personality--or a completely unknown one in God Bless America. These are the bios we need because while it may be worthwhile to read a 400 page book on Lincoln or DiMaggio, chances are I'm not going to be reading one about Brian Clough.

Ok, I'll cut to the chase: where does this place on the All Time Soccer Movie list? I'll tell you: I don't know, third? Fourth? Shaolin Soccer is One. Victory is top three, though I don't remember if I've ever seen the whole thing. Bend it Like Beckham is probably Two. Oh, wait, what about Ladybugs? Ok, I'll stick with Four. Maybe Three.

1 comment:

  1. Originally soccerclubs first used the head of a dead man as the ball.

    Soccer comes from the term asSOCiation = SOCcer

    ReplyDelete