Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1998

Winner: Dark City

I had no idea I was going with this until I typed it a few seconds ago. A lot of solid contenders this year, but nothing that really stands out from the pack. Vin's write-up definitely helped sway me.

Whatever happened to director Alex Proyas? After The Crow and this, I thought we had a new visionary director to follow. In the past 12 years he's only made 4 movies, only one of which is worth noting, I, Robot. And it's only worth noting for how good it looked and how disappointing everything else about it was. The thing that impresses me most about Dark City is that it's an original sci-fi story. For a genre based on imagination, that's actually a rarity. At least in Hollywood. It's also similar in a way to Blade Runner. Neither did much at the box office, but both had a huge influence on the design and tone of science fiction films for years to follow (including Inception). Now, sleeeeeeeeeep.

Films of Note:

American History X: All the behind the scenes drama between Edward Norton and "director" Tony Kaye overshadowed the film. What it didn't hide was the most disturbingly violent scene I've ever seen in a movie. Put your mouth on the curb!

Apt Pupil: Speaking of Nazis, how about a real one? Bryan Singer's follow-up to The Usual Suspects was based on a Stephen King novella and introduced me to the great Ian McKellen. One of the most overlooked films of the decade.

The Big Lebowski: Probably the runner-up for the year. Jeff Bridges gives us an all-time great character and the Coen Brothers are at their comedic best. Thinking about it, this should probably have won. But would The Dude really want me to rewrite this whole post?

Elizabeth: Cate Blanchett's performance in the title role is still the best I've seen by an actress. I remember being blown away. Unfortunately, this was the year Miramax bought the Oscars for Shakespeare in Love and Cate lost Best Actress to Gwyneth. Ridiculous.

Saving Private Ryan: And speaking of getting screwed with an Oscar (still more comfortable than an Emmy), this was easily the "best" film of the year. For the sake of this list, though, the rewatchability just isn't there. Too serious, too tough to watch at times. That's not a knock, it's how it was intended. Know what I remember most about this film? No, not the incredibly orchestrated opening beach invasion scene. It was that Craig Kilborn spoiled the ending during "The Daily Show" right before I saw it. Well, who's laughing now, you snarky bastard?

Ok, now Vin can finally unleash his thoughts about 1999.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you picked Dark City and that I..in some way swayed you...How could I forget about Big Lebowski???...I knew you would have apt pupil...and American History X was a real good pick...thaks for giving Blade runner a nod...so do you think 1999 is a good year?...its just been on my mind for weeks...I think I have a leader...but its just when I looked at lists of films for 1999 I have like a list of 20 films that I love

    ReplyDelete