Thursday, August 5, 2010

Playlist: Rear Window

Watching this tells me a few things about film and life:


1. Old Movies have some things that pull today's generations out of the film experience like:


- rotary telephones


-no cell phones


- no tv's


-the term "rear window"...no one lives in an apartment like this one...I dont think so at least


2. Things though are also great about it of course


-alot more sex references then I thought


-alot of kissing...Jimmy Stewart is a great actor...but man him and Grace Kelly kiss and talk at the same time throughout..its pretty hot stuff


-suspense is suspense...I mean you know whats coming and Hitchcock is a master of this...and in most films today they drag this part out...they think they are one upping Hitchcock by having you witness something and you know "oh no he's behind the door moments"...but most directors will drag this on till its just unbearable and stupid...Hitchcock does this and its just perfect timing





Grace Kelly:




She is one of the most beautiful women I have every seen...and I havent really seen alot of her films..actually I think this one is it. Lets face it...today everywomen in film is superhot...but she truly is amazing...and its like I know in the back of my head...she is a princess and married a real prince and all...but here she is in this film taking charge at the end of the film obsessed with finding evidence of a possible killer and breaking into his apartment fearlessly...she was great to watch.

Jimmy Stewart is great as always..how can I watch him and not think of Mr Smith Goes to Washington...he's the Tom Hanks of his day (ha).

The set is great...the scenes of watching and voyeurism clearly is referenced in many films after this one...the best example I have is the scenes of listening in Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation".

This is a classic and I am glad I got to see it...by the way I had the idea to see this after listening to a David Lynch interview where he actually opens up to a question about his favorite films...he listed:

1. Rear Window

2. Sunset Blvd

3. M Hulots Holiday

So one down in the David Lynch experience

No comments:

Post a Comment