Sunday, May 30, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1984

1984 Nominees: The Terminator, Ghostbusters, Dune, This Is Spinal Tap

I had no idea that Frank has not seen This is Spinal Tap...to quote a 1982 film "You just went down two notches in my..in my BOOK" (Diner). Of the 4 films listed I like and probably love each of them. There is no one great film here in this year, Amadeus won that year, and its a real good film..for me I just love a good Mockumentary...and Spinal Tap as far as I can tell was the first Mockumentary...the first to be a hit and today is a winner in every sense. Its my best of 1984. The one reason I guess is that it is the Great Grandfather in a long line of Mockumentaries, and it still holds up as funny...uncomfortable, and quotable...not that the others aren't...but because of Tap we get, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, Waiting For Guffman, For Your Consideration, The Office and all the mockumantaries that mock the office now. As for the rest of this year.

The Terminator: If Frank hadn't picked this first I gotta admit that I might have...its action packed and dirty, gritty filmaking...I bet the Terminator at the end isn't nearly as believable as I remember it...but it scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Dune: I prefer the long cut of this, its David Lynch making his Star Wars,,,so its a wreck yes, but its his wreck his way.

Ghostbusters: thanks to them we got the "Thirstbuster"...3 liters of Coca Cola..I sure hope they dont make a 3rd one.

Beverly Hills Cop:...this was supposed to be with Stallone, Stallone bought the rights to a book, that book became a film later with Cindy Crawford and William Baldwin...instead Stallone made Cobra and the cop movie became Eddie Murphy's crowning achievement of Beverly Hills Cop...This was the first R rated film I every when to...I was 10, my dad took me because he said It was very funny and had to share the experience with me...was I too young?..

Romancing the Stone: I watched this on HBO about 50 times...I loved this film

The Natural: is a great story, and I am a sucker I guess for Old Roy Hobbs

The Pope of Greenwich Village: talked about this one already back in an old Filmoddiites..I love young Mickey Rourke

Till next time: I would like to see a complete list of all the film we have picked for each of these years...and figure out what this all means in the big world of our Single Malt Obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment