Sunday, May 16, 2010

Playlist: Capitalism: A Love Story

However you may feel about Michael Moore--personally or politically--it would be disingenuous not to acknowledge his cultural relevancy as a filmmaker. His documentaries tackle generation-defining subjects, subjects that are simply not being addressed directly or with any real substance in other media:

Roger & Me: Globalization and the Outsourcing of American jobs

Bowling for Columbine: Gun Culture and Violence

Fahrenheit 9/11: September 11 attacks and the War on Terror

Sicko: Health Care

Capitalism: A Love Story is again on point with an examination of the recent (and current) financial meltdown and the subsequent billion dollar bailouts for Wall Street (from BOTH Republican and Democrat-led Congresses).

In fact, I think Moore is doing himself a disservice by continuing to take such a prominent on-screen role in his films. He--and this really isn't a cheap shot about his girth--is getting in the way of his own message. By his own headline-producing actions, he has become a liberal lightning rod, for good and for bad, and in a sad irony, he has managed to alienate the very audience that would most likely benefit from what his movies have to say. At their core, his movies are about the glory of democracy and the power of the American people--beautiful, sentimental heartland values. The fact that they now come coated in a layer of propaganda is a true shame.

Quickly: There are some legitimate technical criticisms of Moore as a documentarian. Though powerful in several parts, Capitalism is his weakest film due to some questionable subject choices that came across as reaches in his attempt to prove his larger point.

5 comments:

  1. the first two are real good by moore...after that though you hit the nail on the head...I liked super size me...for a classic documentarian in the story example...see "My kid could paint that"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Fahrenheit best, but I am not even going to try to recommend it to you. I will recommend Sicko, though. I think everyone should see it because I do not think Healthcare is a political issue at all no matter how much they try to make it one. It is about taking care of ourselves and each other and all the hurdles in the way of making that possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Single Malt CinemobsessedMon May 17, 06:43:00 AM

    Sicko made my mom want to move us all to France. I'm embarrassed because the only one I've seen is Columbine, but I did enjoy that one, although it feels weird using that word to describe it. I've heard really good things about Roger & Me, I agree his persona/name have lately overshadowed his films. It's like when Punky Brewster got older and more famous, she lost a lot of her magic. It became more about who she was dating and what cup size she was. It wasn't nearly as fun to watch the show and her acting got really crappy, probably because her back hurt all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His films--especially Sicko--make you mad, so I'm with you about "enjoying" them.

    Your mom sounds like a kickass radical chick. Unfortunately, I think that sentiment was used against the film. You know, if you want to move to France you're a traitor and a commie. It's all a load of merde. Really, days of wine and cheese and bread? Not too shabby.

    My top 2 favorite Punky Brewster episodes:
    1. When she and Henry went to the Cubs game
    2. When her friend Cherie got trapped inside an abandoned fridge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well well...Lets talk 9-11 shal we?...Why not..I am clearly the more conservative I guess...and Frank Me and politics do not mix...but I did see 9-11 and I just feel...and I know its like way too patriotic...I feel that right after the attacks we dont need someone shouting "we deserved it"...I felt that was the whole calling card for Micheal Moore...I feel no matter who was in office the same results would have ocurred...and Moore got lucky it was a republican that he could trash...believe me I feel the same way with bill oriely condeming the liberals...damn it we are all Americans...and need better men to serve us like John Adams and Andrew Freaking Jackson (except the whole killing Indians thing...we screwed that one up big time)

    ReplyDelete