Thursday, May 13, 2010

Playlist: The Sopranos Season 1

It's Back:

On HBO on Demand, I have waited months for this service to revert back to the first season of one of my favorite shows of all time...The Sopranos. I started watching this in the middle of season one, my parents had HBO and would tape it via VCR for me. I realized I never saw the original pilot till this past week. HBO on Demand is slow to change, about every 3 to 4 weeks they release the next cycle of shows in their arsenal of series. On a fluke last February I watched The Wire Season 1...the rest is history...The Wire for me is the best show I have ever watched, and I must admit, it has a lot to do with the fact that I was able to watch it straight through like a miniseries of the old days (remember Roots?)...I did not have a week to stew..or like the ills of all Sopranos fans perhaps years between seasons ( 6 seasons span 1999-2007 that's 9 years!)

So this week, HBO on Demand is showing the first 7 episodes...I am through episode 5. I will watch the remaining shows then rewatch the pilot. The show holds up, its got a lot of snappy, cheesy gangster film homages (Christopher yelling "Kundun!" to a fake Martin Scorsese)...but Tony is complex, and the mob is always interesting...its funny, whenever I watched the show originally, in my real life I would find myself unconsciously cursing more and becoming more sexually driven (read this as male chauvinist).

Looking back I was thrown by the ending of the series...I thought my cable went out, then I was pissed, then I rewatched that episode 2 or 3 times...then I watched the ending about 15 times...it was brilliant...the best ending of any show (take that Larry David)...now, I watch knowing the ending and trying to understand the process to get to that ending. Check this article out to learn more..probably more then you need...

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

till next time BOO.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment