Thursday, September 9, 2010

Autumn TV Preview: Tuesdays


What I'll Watch

Sons of Anarchy (FX): This has always been better than it should be. It's an over-the-top show about outlaw bikers that's grounded by addictive writing and compelling performances. Season 2 was terrific, aided by white powerful sleaze of the earth turns by Adam Arkin and Henry Rollins, but ended on a disturbing note. No, not the disturbing gang rape way it began, but the disturbing kidnapped baby way that usually signals writer's block. Babies don't bring anything to the table except cred-killing melodrama. That said, I watched episode 1 last night and, baby be damned, they brought it. The last minute was game-changing, season finale worthy insane. Also, great theme song.

What I'll DVR the First Episode Of and Maybe Watch Eventually

No Ordinary Family (ABC): The premise of a super-powered family was already played out before they wrote the script. However, that doesn't necessarily make it bad. The casting of Michael Chiklis, on the other hand, necessarily makes it good. Or, at least, watchable. If only he played a super-powered Vic Mackey (which would support my theory that actors should just play their signature characters in everything). Julie Benz and Autumn Reeser add to the promising cast. So, I'll promise I might watch it. Take that to the bank, Nielsen.

Running Wilde (FOX): Two things working against this from the jump. One, FOX has a depressing record of live-action comedies, and two, it's in the 9:30 dead zone. The DVR actually negates that second one as no one has to remember when it's actually on. Which is good because the only reason I'm thinking about this at all is because it marks the Will Arnett's return to television. Ok, the other reason is because I keep hoping it's a reality show about chasing Olivia Wilde.

What I Would Maybe Watch, But Probably Won't

Detroit 1-8-7 (ABC): Speaking of returns to TV, Michael Imperioli is back on the less cool side of the law as a detective in the titular punchline metropolis. This was originally shot as a mockumentary, but they changed their mind and re-shot it as just another cop show. Better safe than interesting. But back to my earlier point, wouldn't you just picture Christopher Moltasanti the whole time. Give us what we want, Hollywood. And by "us" I mean "me." Everyone else will fall in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment