Sunday, September 5, 2010

Leftovers


  • Michael Douglas has late stage IV throat cancer. That's bad. It seems that celebrities should be immune to things like this. What's the point otherwise? I'm not exactly looking forward to the Wall Street sequel (I'm exactly not, actually), but now I won't necessarily hope it does bad (you're welcome, Shia).
  • Vinny Guns' girl, Lindsey Lohan, ran over a baby. Ok, it looks like she didn't really, but the fact that she got her name in a sentence like that at all at this point and it doesn't even register surprise makes me think she might have a problem. Then again babies can be annoying.
  • I don't know how serious this is, if at all, but an executive producer on "The Office" has thrown Harvey Keitel's name out there as a replacement for Steve Carrell when he leaves after this season. In case you're wondering, yes, that Harvey Keitel. Whoever it is, it looks like it's going to be someone, as in they are going to keep the show going. They're making a lot of money, so who am I to say they shouldn't, but I might have to make the tough call and cut the line. My only concern as a viewer is quality and I'm already feeling I'm a season too late.
  •  According to that bastion of journalistic integrity, Entertainment Weekly, Sandra Bullock is "now the most powerful actress on the planet." Really? EW used to try to walk the fine line between chronicling the entertainment industry and pandering to trends. I suppose there's not much money in that these days. This just seems like completely unnecessary hyperbole. You want to write an article about Bullock's recent run of success? Great. Somehow that isn't enough, though. It's like the whole Betty White phenomenon. Here's a woman who's been funny for decades, yet instead of recognizing her work we are being told that she's the second coming of crack. (Though there has always felt like an undercurrent of hipster mockery at play. Let's laugh at the old lady. The irony has become ironic.) Regardless, E-Dub deserves credit for jumping on one bandwagon: there are 2 mentions of Charlie Day in the latest issue including a whole sidebar. 2! Greenman!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment