Monday, September 20, 2010

Playlist: The Runaways


For some reason I feel guilty liking Kristen Stewart. Okay, not some reason, but because people keep making me feel that way. My problem is that I can't explain why I feel the way I do. I don't necessarily think she's a great actress (though she's far better than she's given credit for being). And I don't even necessarily find her that attractive. Only I do. Only I don't know why other than to that she simply has a screen presence. And I can't be alone in this since millionaires with countless options keep signing her for their movies.

The biggest criticism I hear about Stewart is that she basically plays herself playing with her hair and whining in all her films. Accurate or not, it doesn't really register with me and I wonder if maybe some of these critics are confusing her with Hayden Christensen. Either way, her performance as Joan Jett may not change anyone's overall opinion of her, but it can't not earn her a little respect. There was a lot of talk about how she threw herself completely into this role (probably with something to prove) and her work shows as she nails Jett down to the guitar playing and singing. Jett was even quoted as saying she wasn't sure who was singing when she heard a recording.

The thing is, though, that The Runaways isn't even Jett's film. It's taken from the memoir of lead singer Cherie Currie, who was only 15 when she was picked to join the group. Dakota Fanning, an actress doing her own dance on that borderline of adulthood, was an inspired choice and she definitely holds her own in the sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll department. She did her own singing as well, but while it's obvious she studied Currie's movements I got the feeling she was trying too hard at times. (Also need to note Michael Shannon's fun turn as their eccentric manager, Kim Fowley.)

Ultimately, music video director Floria Sigismond's film is a by-the-numbers biopic. But I admit, I get caught up in these movies if the music is good and The Runaways were a good group.

The clip below is the real Japanese TV performance recreated in the film. And, yeah, Dakota is dressed like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment