Friday, September 24, 2010

Autumn TV Update



It's that time again (I know, can you believe it?) for the first annual Mid-Unofficial First Week of the Autumn TV Season Update. For those of you playing along at home, remember to use a pencil and not a pen to mark your screens. You're not professionals.

Monday
What I'll Watch: 
House: Haven't yet. I will. Relax.
Monday Night Football: Saints-Niners. Watched a little. Eh.

What I'll DVR:
Hawaii Five-0: I did. It got good ratings. Will I watch it? Let's find out together next week.

What I Mentioned:
The Event: DVR'd it...and watched it. I know, what can I say, I was curious. Verdict? A little less curious. No, I don't know what it's going to be about, or what "the event" is. I'm just not that interested in finding out. Is it aliens? I hope it's not aliens. The pilot jumped around in time to build suspense for the climatic money shot. There's a government conspiracy at play because no one wants to watch a show about health care reform. I didn't buy in for whatever reason. The lead actor, Jason Ritter, didn't do anything for me. Actually, the only reason I'd watch another episode is Sarah Roemer. It's the freckles.

Tuesday
What I'll Watch:
Sons of Anarchy: They're handling the potentially show-killing kidnapped baby storyline very well. I should have given them more credit. I apologize.

What I'll DVR:
Running Wilde: Did and watched it. Better than expected. It had a mini horse, so how could it not have been. I'm not sure about Keri Russell and the premise is ridiculous. Actually, the entire show is based on Will Arnett's charming smugness. Not exactly a confidence-building long range plan. Time killer right now.

What I Didn't Mention:
Raising Hope: Sitcom on before Running Wilde so I just recorded it as well. And watched it. And liked it. It was created by Greg Garcia, who also created My Name is Earl which was one of the better shows on TV during its first season. Garcia has a knack for mining humor out of poor people without using them as the punchline. Earl got gimmicky and lost its way, so I wouldn't bank on Garcia's track record. Here's what we have here: 20 year old guy has one night stand with a girl who turns out to be a serial killer. She gets pregnant and eventually electrocuted and he is left with the baby. Yes, they electrocuted her on the show and, yes, it worked as comedy. Have to admit, I didn't see that coming. Anyway, the guy's mom is Martha Plimpton, who has actually gotten better looking with age. I know, that's not saying much, but considering where we started, it is. Her character, however, comes across very similarly to Jaime Pressly's in Earl. For that matter, the lead, Lucas Neff, sounds a lot like a combination of Earl and his brother, Randy. There's some promise, but I'm not sold yet.

Wednesday
What I'll DVR:
Terriers: I did. Three weeks in a row now. That's the limit. If I don't watch one this weekend, I have to pull the plug. I think I know how this is going to end.

1 comment:

  1. oof. that girl from The Event is CUUUUTE! didn't watch the show though. The characters look bland. Obviously i'd be up for something that i cared about as much as I did Lost but i don't think this is it.

    ReplyDelete