Friday, September 17, 2010

Single Malt Sin-Enyma


Listening to the Trent Reznor Score for The Social Network. Just opened the Compass Box Peat Monster Single Malt Scotch. The music is haunting and mixes well with the smell of this Scotch. The first thing the smell reminds me of is a brand new leather boot. That may not be the most appetizing smell...but it looks like jet fuel. I can tell it is going to be harsh...and with this music I am scared...scared of David Fincher and scared of Trent Reznor and Mark Zucker, the founder of Facebook...this Scotch is going to be tough.

I drank it...it's not that bad. It smells terrible...but the taste is not that strong...or maybe I am drunk already, its definitely whiskey...it is a clear color like turpentine...it's not bad though...the aftertaste is clean and my tongue is numb. We can thank Mr. Pottle (like Bottle) from Route 60 Liquor for hooking Frank and I up with a Scotch tonight. Check out the second link to see all Scotches...we bought a Glenmorangie Nector D'or for the next podcast...slowly working our way to the Macallan 18 of Barry Pepper's 25th Hour. But this counts as social networking...and this soundtrack sounds futuristic...I think the film will comment on our times, even though it looks older and dated as far as just a few years ago can look. OK...so final analysis:
25th Hour = A
The Social Network Soundtrack= B+
The Social Network looks like= B+
Compass Box The Peat Monster= B-
Overall a good night

Frankly speaking, I don't disagree. Well, I don't exactly agree on everything, since I'm not listening to The Social Network soundtrack and haven't seen 25th Hour (though I know I should to both). I'm listening to some Ryan Bingham, who you may know as the voice behind the Crazy Heart soundtrack. I've been in an alt-country mood lately, very lonely roads and whiskey. CH has become one of those films that has stuck with me longer than expected (2004's Closer was another one, though unlike CH, I didn't really like it when I was watching it).

So, the music is on and the Scotch is poured. As the esteemed Vinny Guns mentioned, we were comped the Peat Monster, a move no doubt due to our growing celebrity. The color is a light gold, but the smell is anything but. New leather boot is a good description. Now, a little knowledge before continuing. If you're wondering why anyone would drink something with "peat" in it's name (valid question) it's because peat fires are used to dry the barley before distillation. It's a Scottish thing. That said, I suppose I should have expected it to taste like burning peat. It's tough to get down and my mouth tastes full of smoke. As you know (or probably guessed) I have a delicate palette and. well, I'm not liking this. In a breach of SMC protocol, I'm adding a little water to the glass. Ok, better, easier. Still not my favorite. But I do feel more manly (which is very disorienting).

3 comments:

  1. Quality Control: Typo 4th to last sentence - In a breach of SMC protocol, I'm adding a little water tot he glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot...anonymous...Fuck these Jets

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is by far my most common typo. The old "tot he".

    ReplyDelete