Tuesday, September 21, 2010

SMC Forum: Are Superhero Films Science Fiction?



So I was thinking about science fiction films and seeing as this is a highly prestigious, academically renowned Web site, I was specifically thinking about the definition of the genre itself. Much like my groundbreaking work in the field of zombiology, I feel a certain degree of precision is needed in order to properly educate and provide the foundation to tell people when they are wrong.

So my question to you, loyal SMC readers, is this: are superhero films science fiction?

Obviously, science plays a major part in certain stories--Spider-Man and The Hulk, for example--but should superhero movies be their own genre? A subgenre of sci-fi? Fantasy? Should all superhero movies be treated the same or do they cross genres?

Go on...

4 comments:

  1. As someone who happens to be a complete dork, yet doesn't like science fiction or super hero movies i don't think they are the same thing. so i hate two SEPARATE genres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the superhero. I wouldn't say Batman's sci-fi...

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the by, Ashley mentioned that you only appreciate comments on blog posts and not Facebook comments about your blog posts, so here you go. You have her to thank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not "only" appreciate them here. Wait, define "only."

    ReplyDelete