Friday, July 23, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1994

1994 belonged to Pulp Fiction. It may not be a better film then Shawshank Redemption, but it's a better watch. Pulp was a running hit this year, driving through the pop culture landscape...Shawshank fizzled and then found its way and earned respect on video rentals...which is how I watched it...I think the name alone and "men in prison" hurt it...but I am glad they never changed it. Pulp Fiction was a time-changing, fashion-twisting, phrase-making Juggernaut...and we in the film fan community are still feeling the effects....how many knock-offs were made after this..about a thousand...maybe more. It's my best film of 1994. Whoever thought I would put soooo much time into thinking about the following:

1. What book was Vincent Vega reading on the toilet when he got shot?
2. Did the devil take Marcellus Wallace's Soul through the back of the head?..is that why he has a band aid there?
3. What's really in the case?...the soul of Wallace stupid
4. Will there ever be a "Vega Brothers Film"?
5. What if Stallone really took the "Butch" role?
6. Those Banana Slug T-Shirts are awesome
7. So Quentin Tarantino's character married a black girl?
8. Wow Vincent Vega is Alive at the end?...oh no he just moves time around

Other flicks:

Clerks: One of the best documentaries is the Clerks 10 year DVD "The Snowball Effect"...very entertaining...I have been off the K. Smith bandwagon for awhile...I think he lost his way trying to be something he is not after Jersey Girl...thought he got it back with Clerks 2 which was awesome...I guess we shall see...but he has the first Star Wars geek references in film history I think...and does it better then All.

Natural Born Killers: I saw Oliver Stone give a talk at my College once...he was a jerk...but I love this film...the director's longer cut is great...and the script of course is by Tarantino...again I wish he would write more...this film was stalled because Stone wanted images of the OJ case in the film...his was the first to make that stuff to film...The movie is brilliant and still relevant in our pop culture reality TV bull shit lives. And I just find Juliette Lewis so hot.

Shawshank Redemption: Best film commentator in the world is Frank Darabont. IMDB lists this film as #2/#1 depending on traffic I guess...It's great...I actually like Tim in this...the prison mood and joy of the film is great...not much else...I gotta eat breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment