Thursday, July 29, 2010

Playlist: COP OUT or A Couple of Dicks


Ok...Kevin Smith made this movie...he knew he had to do something and the world of film was just not going to make the films he had in his pipeline..I can forgive him for it...but damn I wanted him to stick to his guns and write/direct all his films...this is a cop action comedy with Bruce Willis...I mean that's pretty cool...but who are these writers?...and will K Smith put in his patented K Smith style...you know the cool pop references and nostalgia for being a Gen X'er...and blatant sexual content etc etc


THE GOOD1. Seann Willam Scott is really funny. Every time I see this guy recently he is MONEY. He is here as the Shit Burglar...a Parkour shit leaving criminal who will help the cops once caught
2. Guillermo Diaz as Poh-Boy..the baseball lovin bad guy
3. The Kevin Smith Touches...the pop references and bad language...at one point Tracy Morgan goes into an interrogation room and pretends to be a "crazy criminal"...he just lets loose on film quote after film quote...from Star Wars to Scarface to Mr. Tibbs to The Color Purple.
4. Side character Adam Brody as a secondary cop partner team ...he is the young cop partnered with Kevin Pollack...this guy is genuine and funny and not afraid to look stupid...he shines here.
5. The soundtrack: Opens with "No Sleep till Brooklyn"...continues with classic Run-DMC, and the score by Harold Faltermeyer who came out of retirement...he did Beverly Hills Cop, the Running Man, Fletch...etc...this score feels so good and so comforting for a 35 year old man who yearns for those action cop films of the 1980s


THE BAD


1. Sadly it's these two...not to be pun-ie...but Bruce Willis just phones it in..and Tracy Morgan is incomprehensible..I really have to watch the film with the subtitles on...Morgan just talks too fast and mumbles and actually spits all over the place...instead of saliva I think this guy secretes milk out of his mouth...thick gobs of mucus milk
2. The Plot: It makes no sense, it should not be hard to follow a comedy cop film...think back to Beverly Hills Cop..the plot of the crime was simple--an exporter put drugs, German counterfeit money, and I think drugs covered in coffee to throw off dogs into America..that's it...in this film there is a woman locked in a trunk, a baseball card, stolen phones or equipment, drugs, money, gangs..it's a mess.
3. The Editing: A lot needed to be cut or rearranged or something..it feels choppy and not paced well...well guess who edited it?..Kevin Smith..I mean if he directs it..fine...not write it..Ok..but why couldn't they get a real editor?
4. Jason Lee: As the new husband of Bruce Willis' wife...he is not funny anymore...plays a faggy jerk (thanks Louie C.K. for bringing back faggy)...Memphis Beat is a joke...Earl sucked at the end, his last big role was Almost Famous which was 10 years ago...I love him in Mall Rats and Chasing Amy..I guess that's enough
5. The Writers: The Cullen Brothers..what's up with Brothers..no one can follow in the Coen Bros footsteps..wait...except for the Duplass Bros..these guys are no Duplass Bros.
6. Kevin Smith: I feel bad and I don't...I was real upset about this not writing thing..now I don't..this film is sub-par with or without him..there are flashes of Smith's best work here...I take this as one of those thing that you see actors do..they will make a big dopey film to then pay for something better later on...with Red State in the works now I feel good about that one and can understand doing Cop Out..although Cop Out made very little money, made for 30 million, and made an OK 44 million)...Smith also has the hockey film "Hit Somebody" in the pipeline with a potential to team up with Seann William Scott.
The real BEST thing is the Blu-Ray Comedy Mode in the DVD...it's Kevin Smith using Blu-ray technology to dive into commentary, deleted scenes and bloopers..he's great at this..I just wish there was a straight up commentary with him and Seann William Scott.
Woo..that was in depth..I say check it out to complete your Kevin Smith films..but if you like extras, definitely check out the Blu-Ray

6 comments:

  1. I have been off the Smith train longer than you. Even his better recent films have just been rip-offs of his older good films. I guess I am disappointed that he has not really grown as a filmmaker over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clerks 2 was 10 times better then the 1st clerks...get off the nostalgia for a minute and rewatch

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 times better? I am not even being nostalgic. I just did not think Clerks 2 was, you know, good. The whole thing seemed very forced to me. And the two leads are just terrible actors, whcih was okay in a $100 dollar movie, but it really stood out in an actual studio film. We need to settle this in THE DISTILLERY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Distill it Bitch...I think it was funny to have these lesser actors with real actors...and If you call ben Affleck a "real" actor...this friendship is over...The Cop Out Maximun Comedy Mode is Comedy Gold by the way...its like 15 times better then the movie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listen here, buster, I was hating Affleck before you. DON'T YOU EVER ACCUSE ME OF LIKING HIM AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your so right...and to think I was a Matt Damon hater first...the shame the shame

    ReplyDelete