Tuesday, July 20, 2010

SMC @ The Movies: Inception

As you know, Vin and I both picked Christopher Nolan's mindfreak as our most anticipated film of the summer, so it was the perfect nightcap to our Saturday night doubleheader. And in tribute to revisionist historians everywhere, we actually watched it first.

Okay, so we both liked it--let's get that out of the way up front. Nolan brought his A game as usual and the cast was up to the task. In particular, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, and Marion Cotillard. Cotillard, who won an Oscar for 2007's La Vie en Rose, was almost distractingly stunning. I felt bad for Ellen Page because she looked like a little girl in the scenes they shared together.

I'm sure you know Inception has something to do with dreams and guess what? You're right. I'm not going to explain it, but what it all boils down to is a visually amazing sci-fi heist film. Does it make you think? Of course. But so did Jennifer's Body. There, I thought, WTF?

Vin: Is the ending a statement that our "reality"...is really a dream?...I thought this driving home. Or is it like Memento: it's all a dream...he "incepted" himself...I am reading all these things online and need to go to bed. This is a good take on the film.  

Frank: Funny thing is I didn't question the ending until I heard other people talking about it. As multi-layered as the film was, it was pretty linear and straight-forward. I think. I missed something, didn't I?

Vin: I am starting to question my reality now as a dream...Chris Nolan has incepted an idea into all of our brains with this film and some of us will commit suicide...

Frank: Yeah, anyone who commits suicide now can have their family sue Nolan.

Vin: Read Flicker by Theodore Roszack for a similar film idea.

Frank: You mentioned that book before. I have to read it. Who was supposed to film it? Aronofsky? (Ed. Note: Yep.)

Back to the movie, as complicated as it got I think the internal logic held up which is always a risk in these films. I guess we should expect Nolan to pay attention to detail. So how does this rate vs. his other films?

...And that's the last I heard from Vin. Officially, he's "on assignment" this week. Between you and me, he's dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment