Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1985



Name me another film like this...do it I dare you. Brazil is the best film of 1985. No other film deserves to be mentioned, there is no other nominations for 1985. Gilliam's problems with making films started here, we all know his history with films...and this was the start. If possible and you are a collector of films I recommend the Criterion Collection of this film, it comes with 3 discs, 2 versions of the film, plenty of really good extras and interviews, especially over the history of making this film. No one wanted the "Gilliam" version, the studio wanted a happy ending and Gilliam even gave them one, but he also made his own version. The best of Gilliam is here:
1. Futuristic city
2. Nightmarish State Run Country
3. Dreams
4. Unhappy ending
5. Absurd comedy
I wish Gilliam would make something from his roots again...Parnassus was close but not quite there, maybe it was Heath's death, maybe it was the CGI...but Brazil is a masterpiece.

Others of note:
Back to The Future: Like I said..the best time travel movie ever

Rocky 4: Wyoming takes the place of Russia...training in Russia is apparently medieval...and the whole of Cold War relations can be summed up in this film...say what you will..Drago was a great bad guy.

Breakfast Club: classic 80's comedy..last time I counted 11 people in this film

Goonies: I am still pissed that when I bought the Goonies cards...there was a scene of an octopus on the card..I have never yet seen that scene..its an extra I am still waiting for

Legend: R Scott was distilled..this film is good...the character of DARKNESS is awesome and scary

Real Genius: classic again...and I still can not hammer a spike into a piece of wood with my penis

Year of the Dragon: Mickey Rourke and Micheal Cimino at it again..look for the scene where Rourke is in the apartment and the background is the NY skyline with the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge...they just could have filmed that background...but no ...Cimino is so good he built that set on a roof of a building between those two bridges...amazing.

Till 1986...BOOM

3 comments:

  1. I watched the Criterion DVD and saw a bit of the studio, non-Gilliam version. Really, they re-cut the movie WITHOUT him making a completely different film. Ridiculous. The commentary by some film expert was very insightful as he pointed out just how the changes ruined the movie. Again, ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wanna jam?
    -B

    ReplyDelete