Sunday, June 20, 2010

Playlist: The Godfather Part II

Micheal Corleone is a bad Father:

On this "Fathers Day"...I got breakfast cooked for me...then my children had a pillow, blanket and a remote control on the couch. Tucked between the remote and the blanket was the Godfather DVD set...so I got to watch the Godfather Part II today.

What a great gift...in the morning, no interruptions...just this film that I have as the best film of 1974 and probably in my top 5 films of all time.

I haven't seen this full and uninterrupted in a long time. It holds up great, but a few observations.

1. "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"...Micheal doesn't really know who tried to kill him early in the film...he tries to smoke out the rats through telling Tom Hagen, Hymen Roth, and Frankie Pantangelo all someone else "did it"...until Fredo...freaking Fredo makes the mistake of saying the wrong thing in front of Micheal...

2. Its all Pacino....sure DeNiro is in it...DuVall really has a small role as does Diane Keaton

3. Pacino never smiles and is never happy...not once

4. I miss Bruno Kirby

5. I think only 4 people die...wait maybe 5

6. Coppola tried to get Brando to reprise the role as Godfather in a flash back scene..he refused, which then gives us the picture above.

7. If it wasn't for the flash back DeNiro and Little boy coming to America scenes..this film is a downer...great...but a downer, revenge thriller...I have never seen the "Saga" version that just plays out in chronology all 3 films...but it would be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment