Saturday, June 19, 2010

Playlist: Shutter Island (Remix)

Going in, I heard a lot about how you can see the "twist" coming from a mile away. Funny, how everyone is so smart when it comes to movies and not at any other time. (This is a far bigger pet peeve. Seriously, even if I believed you figured out the ending of a film--which I usually don't--SFW. Good for you, your brilliant mind ruined the enjoyment of watching a movie. Be proud.)

Anyway, guess what? The movie gets better AFTER the twist. The twist was never the point. Martin Scorsese doesn't need gimmicks, even when he tests his hand at a new genre. The payoff doesn't come from what happens (taking notes, Night?), but in what comes next.

If anything, this film was Marty having fun playing around with CGI and arty flourishes (to wonderful effect, I should add.) I know this may sound strange, but it's easy to forget how talented a filmmaker he is. It's too easy for him to get overshadowed by his actors' powerhouse performances or simply by the stories themselves. Maybe that's not so strange considering how long he was overlooked at the Oscars. But this movie is a great example of what he can do with a camera. I know Vin picked up on this, but there's a great overhead tracking shot when they first get to the island that reminded me of the ascent up Shining mountain.

1 comment:

  1. so am I the one who "saw it coming"?...I feel the twist after was great and was the real surprise...so was he sane or insane when he makes that last decision?...I say sane...it makes it better for me considering what line he choses...when I watched this I watched it with the remote in my hand at all times...the film took me like 3 hours to watch it because I kept rewinding...by the way...did you get to see tetro?

    And I thought the same thing...Scorcese made a modern day Shining here...great reference

    ReplyDelete