Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1986

When I think of the 80's...for some reason 1986 seems like a great year...Frank and I turned 12 this year...the prime of our childhood. 86..just like the great 86th street in Brooklyn New York...86 like the Challenger explosion...86 like the great Watchmen Graphic Novel...and Platoon won the Oscar...here are my Nominee's




I gotta say this is a tough one. Do I pick the artsy film and be called a snob again like with Eraserhead?...do I pick the little Gem that is At Close Range with both Penn boys, Chris Walken and my favorite Madonna song of all time, do I choose the crazy go nuts Big Trouble which perfectly balances action, kung fu, comedy, and sci-fi horror?...or do I go with a film I could watch a thousand times and always laugh knowing its glorious and no one has seen it in Wiseguys (picking this will make it the second Brian DePalma film...what?...me pick DePalma twice over Scorsese?..What a Disgrace I would be.


Enough pick I know: I just feel this is so important I must go with my gut:


BLUE VELVET by David Lynch

Its just THE best film of 1986...it is the best filmed and most beautiful of the films listed, it is a true American Nightmare, Dreamscape, Fim Noir, Scary film....not in the horror sense but in the David Lynch sense...this is the film I would recommend to someone who wanted to see their first David Lynch Film. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic but the late Dennis Hopper was amazing and scary and fun fun fun to watch. On a personal note the film was filmed in North Carolina...it is set in the fictional town of Lumberton...but in North Carolina there really is a Lumberton...and I ate at a Cracker Barrel in Lumberton...
Others of note that need to be recognized:
WiseGuys:...this film is great...probably in a toss up with Blue Velvet...but I HAD to pick one which are the rules...Wise guys has the best Captain Lou Albano ever and the first "Italo-Judeo Deli"
Cobra : What a crazy film...watch this one with some friends now and realize how stupid the 80's was...the product placement is great and Director Sylvester Stallone lets us all know he is the star.
of course : Stand By Me, Top Gun and Ferris Bueller..all equally wonderful to watch on the USA network during July 4th or some shit.
BOOM BITCHES (for Brattsley...our late great reader)

3 comments:

  1. And what, and what, and what???

    LOVE,
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milo went to college...right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milo did go to college, I'm not sure if that was when he decided that food tasted good though. Either way, I agree!
    Bratt

    ReplyDelete