Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Playlist: Let the Right One In

What's that, a Swedish vampire movie, you say? Ja.

I watched this a few months back, but since I started writing about the Six Shooter Film Series, I thought I'd finally get around to finishing this post. By now you have probably heard about Tomas Alfredson's 2008 film, based on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's the story of a young boy named Oskar, a loner who wants nothing more than to get back at the school bullies tormenting him. One night, he meets Eli, the new girl who moved into his apartment building. She informs him that they cannot be friends--that she's not even "really" a girl--but they go on to develop a bond anyway.

It's a strong story bolstered by the captivating performances of the two leads, Kåre Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson, and its quiet, atmospheric vibe that's very much the product of its hauntingly bleak setting. It's an art-horror film, but it's also very definitely a true vampire film, not afraid to embrace and elevate the genre. More on this in an upcoming post.

It was so successful, in fact, that it is scheduled to be honored with an all-American remake by Cloverfield director Matt Reaves. But it will star the boy from The Road and the girl from Kick-Ass, so maybe it won't be terrible. Though there's no helping its pointlessness.

4 comments:

  1. I really likes this one...hope the remake does it justice...Hey Frank...you gonna watch The Walking Dead by Darabount...it has Zombies for you and darabount for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, dude, I saw this. I rented it on demand a while back. I liked it okay. What I didn't like was that the boy in it always had a runny nose and all the snot ran into his mouth the whole movie. That was kinda gross. I kept wishing he would wipe it on his sleeve or something, but he never did :(

    -Brattknee

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Absolutely going to watch Walking Dead. The comic is great and I think you'd like it too because the zombies usually take a back seat to the horrors humans do to each other. And your guy Darabont is a zombie fan--suck it. Here's a article about it where he does a good job explaining what he likes about the genre: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/02/first-look-at-the-walking-dead-tv-series/

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2. No wonder that kid got beat up all the time lol. I agree with you, but it also helped the movie because he was so pathetic looking. Or maybe that's cool in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete