Sunday, June 13, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1987

Gotta keep up with Frank here. 1987 was clearly a great year for film according to Frank...and why should I argue...but I just dont have that many films here...alot of what Frank wrote I sadly havent even seen...and many are also on my list...let me just say I think its freaking cool that Franks Grandpa brought him to see Full Metal Jacket...sadly I just saw 1 of Kubricks films in theaters. Heres my list of Films I considered to be the best Nominees and then some thoughts on others:

Angel Heart, Full Metal Jacket, Robocop

The winner for me was clear and not a tough decision: ROBOCOP




I had this poster hanging in my room for years. I remember buying it from Select Video in Staten Island on Hylan Blvd...and being so proud that I got to buy the very same movie poster that was hanging in the store front a few months earlier...(I also bought a Commando and The Golden Child poster but thats a different story. This film was originally an X rating for violence..the directors cut that is on Criterion is brutal. From the design to the violence to the glory of DR. Peter Wellers performance I just love this film...my hopes were that Darren Aronofsky would find it in his busy schedule of artsy fartsy films to do this remake some justice...but the original film stands the test of time...they just dont make great films with action and violence as visceral as this anymore...not with all this CGI fake blood.



Angel Heart: another possible X rating...Mickey Rourke continues to fascinate me...I have an interview on the dvd for this film where he just flat out states that he doesnt remember most of the filming of this movie...


Full Metal Jacket: Franks said it best...the dvd commentary to the new Kurick collection is great...its got D'Onofrio and some great stories.


Untouchables: Just saw an interview with an author that states that Capone never would have known Elliot Ness's name..great another way that Hollywood fucks up history...great film but historically inaccurate..for accuracy see Public Enemy's by a much better director Micheal Mann


Raising Arizona: funny funny funny...the Coens are great...but sometimes they fall flat also...looking forward to True Grit


Who's That Girl: I saw this in the theater...I had a fascination and love affair with this woman for years...she looks best in this film towards the end in a stunning dress...I was in love

No comments:

Post a Comment