Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1989

Winner: Field of Dreams

What, you didn't believe me when I said this was the golden age of baseball films? For me, this is the top of the list. I can't argue it's not sentimental, but why is that a bad thing? Baseball. Family. The American Dream. God, I feel like putting one of those little flags on my car and driving down to buy some meat. Hot dogs. And eating them with a cranky old black man.

Now, I'm not going to say this movie makes me cry, but when Ray's dad comes out of the cornfield to play catch with him, I always seem to get something in my eye. Just a coincidence. And dust mites.

This is my second straight pick featuring Shoeless Joe Jackson. And my second straight pick featuring Shoeless Joe Jackson batting the wrong way. (Seriously, he was a lefty. Don't exactly need CGI for that one.)

Films of Note:

Born on the Fourth of July: After this Tom Cruise should have had two Oscars (Best Supporting for Rain Man). Yes, I know how that sounds, but it's true.

Do the Right Thing: I still get angry every time I watch this. Why the hell does Mookie throw that trash can? I get the socio-economic explanations, but it still ticks me off. Though the first thing I think about when this film comes up is watching it on regular TV and Radio Raheem demanding, "Twenty D batteries, mickeyfickey!" from the Korean shop owners. And check this out.

Drugstore Cowboy: I am not as big a fan of director Gus Van Sant as Vin, a big reason being that I keep waiting for him to make a film as good as this. *Frank Trivia*: this was the first film I watched on an iPod. (That tidbit will win you a few bar bets down the line.)

Heathers & Say Anything...: the last two great teen films of the decade. And how fitting that one has Winona Ryder and the other John Cusack? Say Anything... is the directorial debut of one of my favorite filmmakers, Cameron Crowe. And Heathers features a high school named after Paul Westerberg. Who would go on to have two songs featured on the soundtrack to Singles...directed by Cameron Crowe. The circle of cool.

Indiana Jones and the last Crusade: I've heard people claim this is the best of the Indy movies. I don't agree, but it's really good and a lot of fun. I'm so glad they ended the series here instead of waiting 20 years and dusting off Harrison Ford to make the movie equivalent of disemboweling Santa Claus.

Major League: I remember having so much fun watching this in the theater. When "Wild Thing" kicked in and Ricky Vaughn emerged from the bullpen I didn't even care that I was cheering against the Yankees.

Skin Deep: Bought a ticket for some PG crap and snuck in to see what I thought was going to be the dirtiest movie ever. It wasn't. But it had nudity, so no one complained. Don't judge me.

UHF: Went to see this the day after it was released and it was already not playing. Saw Lethal Weapon 2 instead, which was good, but c'mon. I say this with no irony whatsoever: "Weird Al" is a genius.

Weekend at Bernie's: You couldn't get stupider than this. But it works. It's not "good," but it works. That Andrew McCarthy is magic.

2 comments:

  1. That seasame street thing was great...I had that set as a kid...as far as Van Sant goes...this is the one film I have not seen...crazy huh?...I am still waiting for the amazon price to go to 6.99...I cant believe you dont have my #1 on this list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I mentioned so many films. Got carried away.

    ReplyDelete