Saturday, June 12, 2010

Playlist: Food, Inc.

Trouble losing weight? Who isn't, what with Speedo season fast approaching? Sure, you could go the traditional route, but with so many germs floating around these days it's just not as safe sticking your fingers down your throat as it used to be. May I offer a suggestion? Sit on the couch (what, you were thinking exercise?) and put on Robert Kenner's Oscar-nominated doc about the food industry.

I hope this doesn't come as a shock, but the American food-industrial complex is a dark, sordid place. If you eat meat, you already know how to disassociate the mouth-watering aroma of a grilled burger with the horrifically violent and unsanitary conditions of the slaughterhouse it came from. You have to. Like that one uncle. You know the one. You don't remember? Good job.

But the real revelations in this eye-opening film come from the rainbow and pony filled fields of happy-go-vegan land. It seems the entire grains and veggie market is a corporate repression training film in progress. Thank you, Monsanto. How have they not put Soylent Green on shelves yet?

We're all victims of the system and woefully unarmed to fight the power. Things need to change. It's scary and sad, not just that this is how the world is, but that we let it happen. Where the hell's Upton Sinclair when you need him? Dead? Must have been something he ate.

3 comments:

  1. The way I see it...We all gotta eat a little shit now and then...by the way you inspired me to buy the Special edition collection of "Aliens"...I kknow you dont like documentaries but the Alien collection (I have the first 3) are incredible and some of the best produced docs available for any film

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think The Descendents said it best when they said:

    I like food, food tastes good!
    I like food, food tastes good!
    Juicy burgers, greasy fries,
    Turkey legs and raw fish eyes
    Teenage girls, with ketchup too!
    Get out of my way, or I'll eat you
    I like food, food tastes good!
    I like food, food tastes good!
    I'm going to turn dining
    back into eating
    I like food, food tastes good!
    I like food, food tastes good!

    Love always,
    B-Jam

    ReplyDelete