Saturday, April 10, 2010

Contacting Greatness, Vol. 1: Vincent Gallo

OK, so who do you pick?

Who will write back, what question do you ask.

I love the films and acting of Vincent Gallo. He has a website. I have bought merchandise from the website. I see an email contact...it's an open door and I have to walk through. Buffalo 66 is smart and funny and well acted, The Brown Bunny was controversial, but It is an amazing film, a great leap of emotional faith by an actor who did not compromise and made a film that at first I was drawn to by the controversy and now it is as a meditative film for me as Apocalypse Now and Last Days. I am drawn to it, I just love the simplicity, the color, and the emotion that Gallo puts to the film. so I emailed him in 2007, he wrote back fast enough...I was hoping one day to do the "Brown Bunny Tour"...you know ride the same roads and visit the real locations that Gallo's character visits along his trek from New England to California..its a lonely and introspective road...call it a joke..call it pretentious...Mr. Gallo and I do not care:

MY EMAIL:

Mr. Gallo
I just got done watching The Brown Bunny for what might be the 5th time. I have listened to your commentary twice from the Japanese import and wanted to thank you for making such a beautiful movie. I did have a question, if you get the chance to answer it. As the movie flows from start to finish you travel the US, its a perfect road movie for the subject of loss that you took on. During the filming did you film in continuity from the race track up north straight through to L.A.? And if so what went into deciding to take the route you took, for each location? Great job and I hope you stick to it and get us another Vincent Gallo written and directed film soon.
Always
Vincent
Tampa, FL

GALLO'S REPLY:
Yes, I filmed traveling from NH raceway back to LA. The route was 80 to 70 to 15 simple


There you have it...a simple reply to my fan boy email. So if you would like to take that trip, those are Gallo's directions. I have not taken the trip and may never, but I took a virtual trip on google earth and it was as fun as it was on the film.

Until next time: BOOM


2 comments:

  1. Wait, did you re-enact the whole film online or just the trip? And you know what I mean.

    Why haven't I seen this movie yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the whole fim..even the BJ

    ReplyDelete