Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1979 REDUX

OK Right?...so forget everything from that last post...I found out it was a hacker and they are now officially hacked...the "Puppet Movie?"..really...I due remember that that was the second film I ever recorded off tv with a vcr tape...the first was Xanadu...anyway here is the real films up for nomination for 1979...and yes Frank is right about the winner and real best film for me at least...not to rag an Frank but because it is his choice..but did I mention that Frank is a great lover of Henson...and I am a great lover of Labyrinth and all things Madonna and Jennifer Connelly...we gotta have our moments..

The Nominees:
Alien
Apocalypse Now REDUX
Being There
The Warriors
Breaking Away

Some good films...I also had a few others ...but the choice was simple..Apocalypse Now Redux the longer version with the French plantation and Harrison Ford and that guy from the Matrix is hands down a classic..and a great film..man Francis Ford Coppola is a beast in the 1970's...as FFC has said .."this is not a film about Vietnam...this IS Vietnam"..much of this film is better now then then...the film is longer, it has an incredible documentary called Heart Of Darkness that goes into the excess and length of the film being made..not to mention it almost killed Coppola and the star Martin Sheen...and the Commentary track by Coppola is incredible...he is great and tells great stories...the film is long and is not like "The Hangover in Asia" or anything...it is haunting and you gotta be patient and open to great films to like it...but I am a pompas ass when it comes to these things...here's thoughts on the rest.

Alien
another great film, commentary track by Scott is great..
Being There
thanks to our buddy Jeff.. I got to see this...and the ending is a shocker
Breaking Away
makes me want to go biking and eat real American food like "FRENCH FRIES"
Caligula
ok so I got drunk on Jack Daniels and opened up my pants in front of Frank...so sue me...the commentary tracks alone from Helen Mirrian and A McDowell are better then the film
Hot Stuff
Fat and Funny Delouise
The Jerk
funny film and the guy still thinks he is black
The Warriors
I loved the Baseball Furies...those guys are a bunch of pussies
And Justice For All...the best Al Pacino end in the court room scene

Till Next time...BOOM

5 comments:

  1. By far 1980 will be the toughest call..its almost a coin toss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for that, I'm not editing out all your typos. BAM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry...I love you franco...please edit me...I have no patients for editing, colons or colonoscopies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you are not a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Single Malt CinemobsessedFri Apr 23, 07:43:00 PM

    Having not seen either of the winning films, sorry boys '79 was a difficult year, I can't really go into detail because there are still some charges pending, but suffice to say I didn't get out to the theater much.

    I would like to take the opportunity to go back to your roots, you know remember back to when you were just a fledgling podcast by the name of Source Material, because I have read Heart of Darkness. The book should really come with one of those "I survived" t-shirts, because it was painful to read. In fact, it is my least favorite book of all time, wait no, I meant, of ALL TIME. It's a short book, but it reads as one very long run on sentence. There are no paragraph breaks or dialogue, it is just one horribly boring description of the congo. The only saving grace of the book comes at the very end when the epic lines, "The Horror...the Horror," are uttered. And you know what I thought when I read that part? I thought, isn't that from that one movie? Yes, this movie, Apocolypse Now. The best part of the book, is the end because it makes me think of a movie that I never saw. Not good. Not good at all.

    Ooooh ooooh wait, I remembered what else Apocalypse Now makes me think of...remember in Hot Shots Part Deux when Charlie Sheen passes a boat with Martin Sheen on it and the call out, "I loved you in Wall Street!" Isn't that supposed to be a play off Apocalypse? I think I heard that somewhere. Now that was a good movie (1993-FYI), remember how the one girl's mole kept moving around.

    God I hate 2 1/2 men.

    ReplyDelete