Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1978

Nominees: Animal House, Dawn of the Dead, Grease, Halloween, Jaws 2

A better year than I thought at first glance, especially in terms of influence. George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead has long been considered the gold standard of zombie films and the one that has truly served as the template for the genre. (Though I must say Romero's 1968 ground-breaker, Night of the Living Dead,  is still incredibly effective.) And while on the subject of seminal genre work, John Carpenter's original Halloween remains one of, if not the, best slasher films ever. And that music has never been topped (composed by the directer himself). Jump-stepping to musicals, I'm amazed at not only how well Grease has held up over the years, but by how each generation has adopted it as its own. There's nothing not to like about it. (Apparently, a young me danced the film away in the back of his aunt's station wagon at the drive-in. Where was YouTube when you needed it?) What's that? Jaws 2, you say? For a long time, this was my favorite Jaws film. While I have since learned to appreciate the genius of the original, this one is still way too much fun not to watch whenever I catch it on TV. But Animal House...an absolutely pitch-perfect comedy. I don't quote movies, and I can quote this movie. Makes you want to start your own frat, doesn't it?

Winner: Animal House

Notes: The Deer Hunter is a great film, but as Vin mentioned, you have to be ready and committed to watching it...Superman could have easily been a nominee this year. While its effects don't hold up in the face of today's super hero extravaganzas (through no fault of its own), I was surprised at just how good Christopher Reeve's performance was when I saw it again a few years ago. Just...something that means "super"--I do not want to use "super"...Speaking of classic film music, how about that Midnight Express theme? Plus, it's a prison movie, which is right up there with zombies and fraternities in the "infinitely watchable" category for me (what, no summer camp movie? Couldn't you have rushed production, Meatballs?)...finally, speaking of wrestling, which I wasn't, but let me explain. I was actually introduced to the Midnight Express theme as the entrance music for a tag team of the same name. That leads into The Bad News Bears Go to Japan, a not very good film that I loved as a kid because, one, it was about baseball, and two, there was a wrestling scene. God, life was easier back then.

7 comments:

  1. Its funny what movies we remember and which ones had the greatest effect on us...you with Jaws 2...that threw me...but at the same time I feel the same for Jaws 3-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theme to Midnight is the same guy who did scarface...hes great...its up there with the miami vice theme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Single Malt CinemobsessedSun Apr 18, 08:45:00 PM

    Since you mentioned quotability as a criteria for number 1 status, may I humbly point out that Grease includes one of the best movie quotes ever

    "I feel like a defective typewriter...I skipped a period" - Rizzo

    And I mean after all, Grease is the word.

    So, do you guys have to like mail me the password or do I go pick it up in a undisclosed location? Cause I've been taking some classes at the local community college in creative writing...ok, I mean, I'm getting ready to enroll for classes as soon as I get my GED taken care of, but I really think I'm ready to start contributing full time to the SMC, at the very least you could offer me an internship...have me do some fact checking or something. I have access to a remarkable new tool for finding information on the World Wide Web, I call it the Google Machine. Through this magic portal on the internets I'm able to navigate back and forth between time and space (much like Hector from Timecrimes, but better because I can go back to the dinosaurs or forwards to 2019 to visit Deckard in LA).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Jeff this has to be Jeff...reveal yourself to me!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Single Malt CinemobsessedMon Apr 19, 07:53:00 PM

    Clutch, can I call you Clutch or do you prefer 9? I'm worried you're starting to blur the lines of this relationship, let's try to keep things in perspective here...I am the obsessor and you are the obsessey (I just made that word up, but I think you'll get my gist). It's not important who I am, though I can say with quite certainty that I am definitely not Jeff or that God of a Radio Host Frank. Why don't you just enjoy the rush of adrenaline that comes with being stalked. Let's not cheapen this with names, I'll leave the money on the table and you leave a smile on my face.

    Also, I thought I'd mention that you really really really do not have to watch Always. It was total crap even with Dreyfuss...and actually since Dreyfuss is on the table now, I think if he got distilled I'm not so sure how clean he'd come out on the other end. Granted, he's got the numbers on his side so maybe that would help increase his average, but did you see Krippendorf's Tribe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete