Saturday, April 17, 2010

Lifetime Movies: 1978

Lets recap:
1974: Godfather II
1975: Jaws
1976: Eraserhead
1977: Star Wars

A pretty good list so far. 1978 is a lean year. Many of the films of this year just weren't up my alley I guess. 1980 I have 12 possible films up for the top spot, in 1978 I have only 5...and at least 3 of them are a stretch...I only have two really in contention:

Nominees
Superman
The Deer Hunter

The Winner: The Deer Hunter


I am a huge Cimino fan...I even own Desperate Hours...but this guy is like a flash, a true star...a star that struck lightning in this year's winner. The Deer Hunter is a film you watch and must let it just absorb you, it's far from a film like Jaws, it is a classic, it plays like a classic, if you're not in the right mood it can be boring and slow...that's why it was great to have people like Chris Walken and Robert De Niro, to watch them in their prime is a treat. This film is not as much about Vietnam as it is about the American Spirit, friendship, and the passage of time. Cimino will make at least 2 other films I love, it's sad to see that he has not made any more.

Other Hopefuls were:

Superman
Classic comic/superhero film...the one that started all the craze...and it is a GOOD story...why can't these directors these days that make comic films with a GOOD story?

Heaven Can Wait
I watched this as a kid a lot...it was always on HBO

Animal House
Still one of the funniest films of all time...Belushi was special...Aykroyd was supposed to be in this one as that motorcycle guy

Everywhich Way But Loose
I told you it was Slim Pickens...but I love Ruth what's her name...I love Fido Betto, I love that monkey...this was a funny ass film

Till 1979...BOOM

No comments:

Post a Comment