Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Playlist: 9

Waiting for this to load (slowly--I fear I may need a new DVD player), I was expecting a cute little story told in, what the trailer promised to be, visually stunning animation. My eyes were not disappointed. 

Shane Acker's story, however, was, well, it was less cute and more...set in a dystopian nightmarescape, the aftermath of mankind's global annihilation at the mechanized hands of its sentient machines. The only "living" beings left are 9 enchanted rag dolls created by the man who was forced by his fascist government to first invent the super computer that would lead to human doom. And you know what? I loved it. I was happy to see that it strove to be something more than just another happy meal theme, that it wasn't scared to be scary.

Then I began wondering why I hadn't heard more buzz about this. Hadn't really heard any buzz, to be honest. Turns out, it was written off after mostly lukewarm reviews. So, who else has seen it? Am I missing something here?

Below, Acker's original film school short:

1 comment:

  1. Something I forgot: the look of this reminded me of the game Myst. Anyone play that? I remember being very bad at it. But it looked cool.

    ReplyDelete