Monday, April 5, 2010

Playlist: Jarhead

OK, be gentle like the first time at the proctologist, folks. I am not even sure I am doing this right yet. I am going to avoid links and such this first time. But I must say, I had to stop watching JARHEAD to write about it.

Recently, I have started getting audiobooks from my local library (Ed. note: Thanks). First couple were David Sedaris, third one I went out on a wing and got JARHEAD, by Anthony Swofford. Never had read it, but did read his sophomore attempt EXIT A. Was OK. I did enjoy HEARING JARHEAD, because Swoff read the whole thing.

As far as I can tell (and maybe this is the retrospective reading by Swoff), Jake Gyllenhaal is not Swoff. Maybe because of all the other shit he wrote about in the book, because it was actual good insight into his head, JARHEAD is a bad book movie. Unto itself, its alright. You really, once again, lose a whole lot about the man who wrote the book, and his actual reasons for even JOINING the Marine Corps.

As good as Jamie Foxx is in the movie (and he actually is), I do not remember Swoff writing anything like this about his Sargent. Cripes, I do not remember the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET oil fires, either. And fair enough, I do drink, but not while I am driving, which is when I listen to audiobooks. Some of the lines are taken from the book, but some of it has been mellowed down, believe it or not. I am going to finish watching this...and will continue in about 20 minutes or so I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment