Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Playlist: "Advantage"

I've been into shorts lately and I'm also going to refrain from making a clothing joke. You're welcome.

I caught the 11 minute "Advantage" on IFC and while its run-time was less than the total commercial-time during an episode of Lost, Australian director Sean Byrne packed it well. It opens with a young couple stumbling home from a night out when they come across a fenced-in tennis court. As stumbling young couples tend to do, they decide to...hold on, let me fire up the euphemism machine...rattle rattle clank...harness the underwear unicorn. Really? Is this thing still under warranty?

Right, ok, so they're harnessing when the lights turn on and the loudspeakers blare what can best be described as Satanic techno. They're not alone. In the worst possible way. The rest--remember it's all of 11 minutes--is spoiler territory. It's freaky and well done and Byrne impressed me enough that I'm interested to see his full-length horror feature, The Loved Ones, this August. Anyone catch it?

No comments:

Post a Comment